“How do you go from where you are to where you want to be? I think you have to have an enthusiasm for life. You have to have a dream, a goal, and you have to be willing to work for it.” - Jim Valvano

Monday, November 14, 2011

Thanksgiving Day Fun and Games at St. Mary's (Lab 5)

Most people in the world do not like Mondays because it marks the start of the week, however I enjoy Mondays because I get to go play and interact with the students at St. Mary's.  This lab's theme was Thanksgiving because it is roughly about a week away, therefore, many of the games that we created for the students revolved around that theme.  Our focus for motor skills this week was dribbling and kicking.


             
               When we were assessing, we looked at key things such as if the students were using their fingers to dribble, or were slapping the ball and also where the ball was in regards to where it landed on the floor and how high it bounced in regards to their body.  Also with the kicking, I noticed that a good amount of what we had to assess dealt with the opposite foot of the kicking foot.  My contribution to lab 5 was creating a game at the end for the whole class.  I decided on a game called Turkey Tag where I had two people it (Pilgrims), and their job was to tag the turkeys (other students).  Now since this was a Thanksgiving theme it is obvious why I came up with these roles and the name, however I wanted to incorporate the motor skills of the day as well.  I created the game so it had two helper turkeys which can help turkeys who have been tagged.  They have to dribble the ball around until they find a turkey in need (which will be gobbling to signal they have been tagged) and then they will put the ball on the ground and kick it to the turkey.  After, the helper turkey now becomes a regular turkey, and the turkey who was just saved is now the helper turkey.  I made it so they switch so that more people would be able to practice the motor skills instead of just two people per game.  Overall I had a blast again at St. Mary's and feel as though everyone in the class including myself is enjoying themselves, have become more comfortable, and have learned a lot.  I came to Cortland primarily thinking that I would want to teach Middle school to High School kids, however this class has definitely made me think twice about this because of my enjoyment with the younger kids has changed my perspective entirely.  It is a lot of fun and rewarding seeing kids develop and helping them do that, especially when you have kids who are so enthusiastic like the ones that I have been involved with!



No comments:

Post a Comment